11/16/10

Amazing Soccer Goals

Scoring a goal in soccer is an amazing feeling. Your teammates rush towards you to congratulate you, almost tackling you, their jubilation radiating, your adrenaline pulsating. In that moment, you are completely filled with joy and euphoria. On any stage, this simple tasks intoxicates your body and mind with ecstasy. I loved scoring goals as a player and even in simple kick around games. The passion of scoring a goal is something that you will always remember.

My most memorable goal came in my second to last game at BCC as a Sophomore. We were playing against Southwest Oregon CC in a single elimination game to make the playoffs. The game was in the second half of golden goal overtime and only minutes away from the dreaded penalty shootout. An opponent had the ball inside his own half and my teammate pressured him hard and forced him into a heavy touch, I intervened and swiped the ball from him about 35 yards away from goal. I had only two defenders in front of me and the goal with one more chasing hard from behind, I feinted right and went left and got half a step on the defenders. At this point I was nearing the 18 yard box and streaking towards the left side of the goal, the keeper began to move off his line to cut down the angle. I was running at full speed with three defenders crowding around me when I hit a low, rolling shot that went just beyond the outstretched keepers dive and off the far post and into the goal! The game was over. WE HAD WON! My teammates were chasing me all over the field and I was dodging every one of them until they tackled me at the midfield line. It was one of the greatest feelings of my entire life. I was ecstatic and so was everyone else. My coach gave me the biggest hug after the game, I was the hero.

Every year in the soccer world there are simply stunning goals that literally take your breath away. FIFA honors these goals by making a shortlist of the ten best goals and gives the Puskas Award to the most breathtaking goal scored that year. You can watch the nominees here:  
PUSKAS AWARD. (amazing goal videos)
Their is a wonderful volleyed backheel that just doesnt make sense, a few thunderbolt strikes from way out, astonishing displays of skill as attackers breeze past defenders and score with style and long streaking runs filled with power and pace and lovely finishing strikes. My personal favorite is Giovanni Van Bronckhorst's rocket from 40 yards out against Uruguay in the World Cup Semi Finals. Absolutely majestic!!

No comments:

Post a Comment