6/13/11

Fun Meter Pegged!

The view from Porcupine Rim
Uhh OWW!
Moab is a mecca for outdoor adventures. I spent my weekend there attempting to mountain bike some of the most technically difficult trails I have ever ridden. It was amazing. I was really stoked for my first Moab trip and oh boy did it exceeded my expectations. We only rode two trails in two days because of how physically demanding they were. After a 3 hour ride I felt as though I had been repeatedly shaken in a martini mixer filled with rocks and blistering sun. I loved it! We rode Amasa Back which is a 10 mile out and back ride that is 5 miles of climbing and 5 miles of descending. I managed to crash and severely bruise my hand in the first 10 minutes which was actually quite hilarious because I was all "gung-ho" to rip the shit out of the trails and just got humbled immediately. But never the less, I still was able to grip the handlebars and enjoy the ride. The next day we rode Porcupine Rim which is one of Moab's signature must ride trails. It is nuts. There is a 4 mile section of single track that navigates technical ledges and loose rocks all just feet from the exposed rim edge where if you lost control and fell off the edge, you probably would have time to pull out your cell phone and call your mom before you hit the ground and died. Pretty hairy stuff. But then there are wonderful downhill sections with twisting turn and nice ledges that you can gap and all kinds of fun features to play on. I'm definitely going back...and soon.
Beat Down and LOVING it!
Your probably wondering, "Tyler, what about your Paleo EP" and yes, I managed to keep it up although it wasn't easy and I did drink my fair share of chocolate milk to aid in recovery. The update is that everything is going good, my gut has seemed to calm down a bit and I don't get the feeling of being bloated as often as I did when I ate a bunch of grains and nuts. Hmmm...am I onto something. Stay tuned! Oh and the knee held up great, even when dropping 5 foot ledges to flat...Thank goodness for full-suspension mountain bikes. Come on knee, stay with me, I promise I'll be nicer this week.

P.S. I'm 26 today...wtf?! 






No comments:

Post a Comment